Tuesday 2 July 2013

Red Kites gallore!

Monday 1 July

Red Kite Milvus milvus over Blatherwyke
Just a quick message to bring you up to date with my UK birding exploits.  I spent yesterday morning with my Northamptonshire friend Tony Noble trying to get some close pictures of the resident Red Kites.  Lots to be seen but the one Red Kite that was within ten metres of us came as we drove from Fineshades to Eyebrook Reservoir.  At this latter site we found not only a handful of Common Terns but a pair of Ospreys, presumably over on a fishing expedition from nearby Rutland Water, suddenly appeared immediately above our heads.  A full, illustrated, report can be found on my alternative blog at http://axarquiabirder.blogspot.com or CLICK HERE.  In summary, 38 species during the morning.

Common Tern  Sterna hirundo

You will see from the photographs that I am using the old 400mm prime lens and, with the new desktop now in use I am sadly missing my use of Lightroom to tidy up the individual shots.  I must remember to bring a copy over when I return for the Bird fair in August.


Osprey Pandion haliaetus above us at Eyebrook Reservoir



Check out the accompanying website at http://www.birdingaxarquia.weebly.com for the latest sightings, photographs and additional information

No comments:

Post a Comment